December 22, 2008

Roast Peaches with Hoegaarden Ice-cream

Restaurant: Four in Hand (NSW)

Recipe from Chef Colin Fassnidge (appears on Gourmet Traveler website)

2009 Rating: Number 76, 1 Star

At this very moment I'm in country NSW spending christmas with my in-laws. We had a big box of peaches lying around and I thought I might put something together with them. After a quick search on the Gourmet Traveler website, I came across this dessert recipe. Looked to intriguing to pass it up, even though considering I dont have an ice-cream machine at my disposal.

Serves 6 

INGREDIENTS:

300 gm caster sugar
6 ripe peaches
100 ml peach schnapps
100 gm butter

Hoegaarden ice-cream

500 ml (2 cups) pouring cream
300 ml milk
150 gm caster sugar
10 egg yolks
4 leaves of gelatine (gold strength), softened in cold water
330 ml Hoegaarden beer

METHOD:
 
1. For Hoegaarden ice-cream, combine cream, milk, sugar and egg yolks in a saucepan, and whisk until smooth. Stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon, remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to cream mixture and whisk until gelatine dissolves. Cool for 1 hour. Add beer, whisk to combine, strain mixture and freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Store in freezer until needed. Makes about 1.8 litres.

2. Preheat oven to 200C. Combine sugar and 300ml water in an oven-proof frying pan over medium heat, bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes or until syrup just starts to caramelise. Add peaches and turn to coat in caramel. Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, place over medium heat and add schnapps and butter. Continue cooking peaches, basting and turning, for 10 minutes or until peaches are golden. Serve peaches drizzled with warm syrup and Hoegaarden ice-cream to the side.

This ones going to be interesting, I've made home made ice-cream by hand before and it turned out a disaster. I will be so glad if I can pull it off! Wish me luck! (Results here)

5 comments:

Miss Honey said...

Ooo let me know how it goes, I've never been game enough to make ice cream at home lol

Anonymous said...

Beer in icecream?! Hope it works out well!

The Caked Crusader said...

I've never heard of beer in ice cream, I have two questions:
1. Does it taste like beer?
2. Does it alter the set of the ice cream?

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious-I've never had beer ice cream before! :o

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

Hi guys,

thanks for the interest!

Miss honey, I'm about to blog the results of the recipe and I'll let you know how it all went.

Arwen, before I started making it I was PRAYING it all worked out, and thankfully it did!

Caked Crusader, the ice cream definitely tastes like beer, but I would suggest using a beer that you really like. Beez Neez, which is honey flavoured would be awesome in this dessert. The addition of gelatine makes it all set really nicely, so no trouble with the ice cream setting.

Lorraine, before yesterday I had never had beer ice cream either, but boy am I glad I tried it!