January 11, 2010

Random Cupcakes

This is my first post for the new year, hosting visiting in-laws and the silly season has taken my precious time away from my blog, and I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms. I thought what better way to start the year than a post about random cupcakes I baked last year. I didn't get around to posting about them for various reasons, but I hope that you will all enjoy it. There are no recipes, but if anyone is really interested I'll do a proper post on any flavour.

For one of many morning teas I made some vanilla buttermilk cupcakes with Nutella Swiss meringue frosting. This is by far my favorite frosting flavour. I'm not a fan of overly sweet frosting and the Swiss meringue is a good frosting if you have a similar sugar intolerance as me. Eating this cupcake is exactly like licking a room temperature ice cream, that is if you like to lick some of your frosting off first.

vanilla with nutella swiss meringue frosting

Last year one of my work mates welcomed her first child, a little boy named Alexander. For her going away party I made a some lemon cupcakes with two toppings. A fondant frosting that Daz seemed to think look exactly like brains, and a vanilla butter cream frosting. A the time we didn't know she was having a boy, so I chose green and purple because the colours are pretty neutral.

lemon cupcakes

vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream

Next we have another set of random cupcakes. These actually came about by accident. The are chocolate mud cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting, topped with some chocolate Persian fairy floss. I sometimes throw left over frosting into the freezer, I cant bring myself to throw it away, or even worse eat it! So on one occasion when I had made cupcakes, but then couldn't be bothered making some fresh frosting I mixed two left overs together. Surprisingly it tasted quite good, except they were really sweet! Everyone else seemed to enjoy them, so that's the most important thing.

chocolate mud cupcakes

chocolate mud cupcakes 1

Lastly we have possibly the worse photo of me in existence. My good friends are well aware of my cupcake addiction, so for my birthday they got me a cupcake cookie jar. I tried to take a bite to work out what flavour it was, but my teeth lost. I'm guessing its a vanilla cupcake with strawberry frosting. My next task is to make a real replicate cupcake or my cookie jar.

me eating cupcake

15 comments:

Food lover said...

all the cupcakes look amazing! almost too good to eat :)

3 hungry tummies said...

Wow! They are all so pretty! The last photo is very funny too!

Agnes said...

Maria, that photo doesn't even look like you! Are you sure you don't have a cupcake guzzling evil twin out there? It's a hilarious photo!

PS: Nutella Swiss meringue frosting recipe, pls!

CC11 said...

Gorgeous cupcakes - you've got mad skillz

A cupcake or two said...

How cute are all those cupcakes. That cookie jar is cool

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

Nutella frosting sounds the yummiest, but I do love the look of the fairy floss ones.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

You really have a cupcake decorating talent. Not so talented with the cupcake jar eating, but we can't be good at everything!

BB said...

uau adorei os seus bolinhos muito giros e parecem deliciosos.

Two fit and fun gals said...

these cupcakes look fabulous! :O) (i especially like the one with persian floss, i've never worked with it before but now im really keen!)

OohLookBel said...

Gosh, you do make some sensational cupcakes - love the ones with the swirly buttercream icing. PS: Have you managed to take a bit out of the giant cupcake yet?

Sheryl said...

Lovely cupcakes! I love persian fairy floss, it's just divine and I bet it tastes even better on cupcakes.

Rilsta @ My Food Trail said...

All those cupcakes sound and look divine! May 2010 be a year filled with more cupcakes for you!

Anonymous said...

All the cupcakes look so gorgeous!! I have the same giant cupcake cookie jar!!!! It's right next to me :)

Anita said...

I love the fondant - it's very pretty. I know the feeling, I have just been away with in-laws for the past week and am very behind seeing others blogs and fixing up my own... (plus I've been reading Twilight, so that hasn't helped with time either :P )

Maria said...

lol what a cute pic of you and the giant cupcake! gorgeous cupcake decorating, wish I had your patience!